[arin-ppml] Internet 101: Collaboration (was - Microsoft receives court approval for transfer as agreed with ARIN)

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 03:45:38 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 9:06 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> On Apr 28, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Chris Grundemann wrote:

> Exactly.  Which is why "the ARIN community" (which, just to remind you, consists of maybe a couple of hundred technical folks, a tiny fraction of which participate actively) deciding unilaterally not to collaborate with legacy holders by attempting to force them to submit themselves to a policy regime that goes against their interests, is in my estimation unlikely to be successful.

The ARIN community is not just technical folks, and the ARIN community
is much larger in size than the  total number of legacy holders  --
every non-legacy resource holder in the region is part of the ARIN community,
too  --   even non-legacy holders who  just have a /30  not directly allocated.

And ARIN's job is good stewardship of the address space for the
internet community.
It is not part of ARIN's mission to  enhance monetization, business
interests, or
sales opportunities for organizations that happen to be assigned some of the
community's number resources, that were assigned those by an earlier registry.

Policy by its very nature is often about requiring participants do (or
not do things)
that go against their view of their individual interests, or what is convenient.

Obtaining only addresses you have 3 month justified need for may
be against _many_  members'  interests.

If community members' individual interests always aligned perfectly
with the policy/community interests,   the rule wouldn't even really be
necessary, would it...

I  don't subscribe to the POV  that the RIR community should go
give legacy holders anything and everything in their interests,
and subject only non-legacy holders to RIR policies.

By far, the legacy holders already continue to be granted some de-facto
perks for their legacy resources that non-legacy holders have not been granted.

For example:  not having to pay maintenance fees.

--
-JH