[arin-ppml] Analogies

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Apr 29 14:34:29 EDT 2011

On Apr 29, 2011, at 10:40 AM, William Herrin wrote:
> I frankly don't know which method I'd label "superior" but I do know
> that it is very very hard to draw an inference between how the DNS
> situation played out and how IP addressing could be modeled that
> stands up to even mild scrutiny.

Right, and to be clear, I was responding to John's original question:

"Can we actually have *any* multi-stakeholder, private sector led,
bottom-up policy development system for technical coordination
of identifiers at the same time as we have parties presently that:
1) have no existing contractual requirements to participate in the
system, but 2) presently hold number resources in their belief as
personal property?"

with an example of one such system.  As I said, I suspect there are others, but the IANA/ccTLD situation is one I'm familiar with.

Regards,
-drc