[arin-ppml] Analogies

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Apr 29 14:29:14 EDT 2011

John,

On Apr 29, 2011, at 10:05 AM, John Curran wrote:
>> When NSF allowed Netsol to charge, there were 200+ or TLDs in the root zone, e.g., ".US" (which was free, albeit had other restrictions).
>
> But if you had an existing domain (for example, in .com), did you
> unilaterally had to agree and start paying?  (I'm asking here for
> sake clarity, as I don't recall precisely how this all happened)

To be honest, I don't recall. I remember having to pay for new registrations, but that's different. I don't remember when/how the transition occurred from 'free' to 'contract+fee' for existing registrations.  Perhaps it didn't happen until the registry/registrar split?

> Do you know how many registered domains were in .COM and .NET at the time?

Nope.  MarkK might be a good resource to answer that question.

Regards,
-drc