[arin-ppml] Microsoft receives court approval for transfer as agreed with ARIN

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 29 10:44:57 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hm... I suggest ARIN revise the 8.3 transfer policy to make it clear
> and require an unconditional release of addresses to ARIN first.
>
> Then a resource review of the recipient will be conducted, and they

Hi Jimmy,

That was neither the intention nor the letter of the transfer policy
we debated and eventually accepted a couple years ago. The intention
was that a receiving registrant qualify for addresses first. THEN the
addresses are released to ARIN for assignment to the recipient. The
unwritten presumption was that at step 0 the holder and recipient
reach an agreement to transfer the addresses outside the scope of ARIN
process. Although slightly irregular, this does appear to be the
process that was eventually followed in the instant case.

> will be required
> to sign the regular RSA to obtain the addresses.

The policy says, "transferred number resources may only be received under RSA."

I understood that to mean "received under {the} RSA." Certainly I
believed that to be the clear intention from the debate. But I can see
how it might be reasonably interpreted to mean "received under {an}
RSA."

This sort of... reinterpretation... is why the poorly chosen language
in draft policy 2011-6 pisses me off. The policy will be interpreted
in any remotely reasonable way it can be interpreted from the
language, regardless of what staff "understands" it to mean right now.
And when it is, I'm going to find Chris and Cathy and remind them that
I told them so.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004