[arin-ppml] Can a personal property approach ever transition into multi-stakeholder, private sector led, bottom-up policy development model?

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Fri Apr 29 00:35:18 EDT 2011

Interesting use of the personal pronoun here Guys.

I also helped people apply for addresses in the 80s and 90s. I was never in any doubt that what i was doing was helping a corporate entity apply for something. I might have lodged the form, but I know the intentionality in mind, when it was done.

Its the same as the old BSD licence. You might sign your name, but it was your institution which was bound to the contract.

There *are* individuals who applied for resources in their own name. But I believe the vast majority of people of that time applied in their ROLE and not in their PERSON for this resource, and its vested with a CORPORATE ENTITY not an INDIVIDUAL.

Apologies for shouting. I do not participate in policy discussions as an APNIC representative, I speak as one who in the past, performed the same application role facing those template forms. Maybe you like to believe your application was in your own name, but I believe Mark (in particular) was applying on behalf of the CSIRO Radiophysics division, or some other unit.

-G