[arin-ppml] Staff proposing policy.

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Apr 28 13:56:04 EDT 2011

On Apr 28, 2011, at 1:26 PM, Michel Py wrote:

> I was about to bring that point myself; to those who ask "do legacy holders really find the policies unpalatable" I answer: look what percentage of them have signed an LRSA. This is the root cause of the issue: the "to sign or not to sign" syndrome.

The vast majority of legacy holders are organizations that don't
even know that ARIN exists.  They are peacefully using their
address allocation, and the only contact with ARIN that they
have may have had is recently as a result of implementation of
the POC validation policy.  The percentage of them that have
signed LRSAs is not a valid indicator of whether the LRSA has
support, as the majority have never been made aware of its
existence.

I believe better information is available from the statistics on
those who inquire about the LRSA (and after we provide information)
then complete or abandon the process. Those statistics are available
here <https://www.arin.net/knowledge/statistics/legacy.html>, and
one could argue that just over 50% find it acceptable, 20% started
the process and turned out not to need an LRSA, and the rest either
abandoned the process or were approved but are unsure about signing.

There is additional LRSA statistical information on that page, and
I'm sure that many different conclusions could be drawn (as that is
the nature of many discussions regarding statistics)

Hope this helps,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO