[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 22 13:41:51 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> GPP-IPv4-2010 (the second) - Adopted in ARIN, under discussion in
> LACNIC and AfriNIC, withdrawn from RIPE, abandoned in APNIC (there is
> VERY little possibility of this ever becoming global policy without
> re-submission in all of the other four regions)
>
> GPP-IPv4-2011 (the new one) - Moving forward in APNIC, on docket in
> ARIN, to be discussed in the other three regions (this has the highest
> likelyhood of becoming a global policy, if we adopt it unchanged here
> in ARIN)

And here's at least one problem with the AC's new verbiage:

Neither of these proposals specify how ARIN should select addresses
for return to IANA, but as soon as either of them is adopted the
prohibition on returning addresses evaporates without any clarifying
instructions from the community as to what addresses ARIN should
return.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004