[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Apr 19 16:38:26 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 3:06 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Draft Policy ARIN-2011-5
> Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension
>
> Date: 20 January 2011
>
> Policy statement:
>
> Updates 4.10 of the NRPM:
> A second contiguous /10 IPv4 block will be reserved to facilitate IPv4
> address extension. This block will not be allocated or assigned to any
> single organization, but is to be shared by Service Providers for
> internal use for IPv4 address extension deployments until connected
> networks fully support IPv6. Examples of such needs include: IPv4
> addresses between home gateways and NAT444 translators.

I SUPPORT this proposal as written and look forward to its adoption.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:14 PM, George, Wes E IV [NTK]
<Wesley.E.George at sprint.com> wrote:
> Specifically, it does not include any guidance to ARIN staff eliminating the intended uses for this space (NAT inside pools aka IPv4
> address extension) as valid justifications for standard address space allocations

Hi Wes,

I think we all share that worry. And I think that following this
proposal's adoption, ISPs should consider themselves on notice that
NAT pools of all sorts are unlikely to continue to offer valid
justification for retaining addresses that have been allocated in the
past. This policy is the opening shot, not the final one.

> the idea of a different sort of sunset clause, where unless X
> SPs came forward and notified ARIN that they were using
> the space, it would be returned to the free pool instead of being stranded
> and unused.

IIRC, the winning argument was that by the time we could reasonably
sunset the space, IPv4 use must necessarily be in decline making it
unnecessary to sunset the space. Sunsetting it earlier would
unreasonably harm then-current users.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004