[arin-ppml] Petition for Discussion of ARIN-prop-136

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 00:32:39 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:09 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2011, at 8:37 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
>
>> This is a fair comment.  But I would suggest that an alternative structure doesn't exist because it hasn't been allowed to develop.  We are in a catch-22 situation if we follow this logic: without an opt-out policy we have no alternative management regime, yet without an alternative management regime we cannot accept an opt-out policy.
>
> Benson -
>
> I respectfully disagree.  The alternate system can first be described
> as a replacement global policy to ICANN's ICP-2.

Agreed. However, I would say that the alternate system MUST first be
described as a replacement global policy....

<self-aggrandizement warning>

I've written on these issues on CircleID:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20100327_current_icann_policy_precludes_itu_becoming_ip_address_registry/

and

http://www.circleid.com/posts/ip_address_distribution_doesnt_fit_in_the_registry_registrar_model/

</self-aggrandizement>