[arin-ppml] ARIN / Microsoft press release regarding IP address Transfers

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sat Apr 16 00:53:03 EDT 2011

On 15-Apr-11 19:00, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> On 4/15/2011 4:30 PM, John Curran wrote:
>> On Apr 15, 2011, at 7:25 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
>>> Perhaps you are correct, but ARIN staff should be able to confirm
>>> that they are following policy (i.e. under obligation to the
>>> members, ICANN, and community) without violating confidentiality.
>>> As the bottom-up policy development community, we should be worried
>>> if they cannot.
>>
>> From the press release: "ARIN President and CEO John Curran stated he
>> was pleased that Microsoft has followed the Internet community's
>> adopted policies for such transfers"
>
> The adopted policies (if they are using the "relatively new policy" as
> alluded to in the release) require the transfer of *a single aggregate*.

Not quite.  NRPM 8.3 only requires the receiver "demonstrate the need
for such resources, as a single aggregate", not that a single aggregate
be transferred.

> The number of addresses that was in the deal cannot be reconciled with
> that requirement.

See above.  Alternately, they could have performed multiple NRPM 8.3
transfers, each with a single aggregate.

I'm failing to see the purpose of that clause; it appears to be a NOP.