[arin-ppml] [arin-council] AC Role in Petitions

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:13:28 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Sweeting, John
<john.sweeting at twcable.com> wrote:

> 7. ARIN Advisory Council members may not initiate, or be counted in support of, petitions as these individuals already have a formally defined role in the Policy Development Process
>
> Also please remember from the minutes:
>
> The Chair called for discussion. JC noted that the forthcoming revised draft of the PDP will state this as well. CA stated that the AC makes decisions as a body. If the community needs a petition, someone from the community should step forward to initiate it. It’s proper form. MH disagreed stating that forcing to act as one body is counter to what we are doing. CG agreed with CA and stated that if there is a need for a petition,there should be no problem finding someone to do it, even if it is someone within your own organization. It does not restrict any AC member from voicing their opinion.
>
> So while you will not be counted as "In Support" or "Opposed" at current time, regardless of perceived intent, it is okay IAW with our standing rules for AC members to weigh in with their opinions. Please feel free to do so.

I don't recall that being part of the original discussion (not being
able to be counted as in support or opposed to petitions).

If we spent as much time writing good policy as we do trying to
control people on the AC and on PPML we probably wouldn't have near as
many difficulties as we currently do.

YMMV,

Best,

-M<