[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-139 No reassignment without networkservice

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Wed Apr 13 08:36:28 EDT 2011

On 4/13/2011 1:33 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> There is not a single ARIN policy for which you are completely unable to engineer a sufficient workaround so as to violate its intent while still preserving some appearance of being close to the letter of the policy.

True, but working around this proposal is trivial AND it fails to
provide any measurable benefit in the use case I've seen defined.  All
requiring a network connection and BGP announcements will do is provide
a method to see who has given space and connectivity to a given
"snowshoe" spammer.  The problem is that reallocating or reassignment
_already_ provides a linkage via the WHOIS database.

> This is a consensus-based policy process where adherence to the policy is largely voluntary and where the community functions primarily on the expectation that most entities will act in good faith.

So we're going to create a rule aimed at spammers and operators who sell
services to them, who are by definition not going to act in good faith,
that only operators who do work in good faith will abide by and bear the
cost of?

> Refusing to make policy more accurately and clearly describe operational practice will
> benefit the community. Refusing to do so merely because you cannot strictly and
> reliably enforce the policy in a handful of corner cases, doesn't make much sense.

Again, this proposal does _NOT_ represent current practices.  ARIN has
known about LIRs providing space without network connectivity for a very
long time (we've been doing it since 2003) though its not common, nor a
problem, in the region that ARIN is responsible for.  Out of respect for
my customers' privacy I won't share their exact networks, but anyone who
is curious can look at our space and see the reallocations and
reassignments.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, ARIN even asked
in one of the annual surveys about the practice of reallocation without
network connectivity so framing the practice as something that hasn't
been allowed is inaccurate.

http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/ISPAL-4/nets