[arin-ppml] DRAFT POLICY ARIN-2011-1: GLOBALLY COORDINATEDTRANSFER POLICY (Legecy space)

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Tue Apr 12 13:59:34 EDT 2011

On Apr 12, 2011, at 12:10 PM, Bill Darte wrote:
> I do think the comparison is reasonable given the explosive, important and successful outcome of it's impacts (our current Internet) ....and within the scope that comparisons are reasonable anyway.  One might argue that perturbing the status quo related to the Internet, its governance and technical architecture should be guarded against major diversion in the same way that the Constitution is very difficult to amend.  The risk lay in the un-intended consequences more that the inefficiencies that seem to exist in this moment of time.

Ok. Inasmuch as your comparison suggests "use care" with important decisions, then I agree with you.

But I note that "status quo" is no longer a choice, given IPv4 address exhaustion.  Major diversion may actually be called for.  Thus, I'm concerned by the level of reverence for RFC2050 etc.

Cheers,
-Benson