[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - March 2011

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Apr 11 14:49:15 EDT 2011

On Apr 11, 2011, at 2:44 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

>> Again, per the minutes of the AC meeting, I stated 'At inception ARIN expressed a
>> commitment to both the US Gov. and to ISP community that we would serve the
>> existing number registrations "as-is". '  You can consider this a statement of fact.
>
> Can you clarify: are you referring to an informal "commitment", or a legally binding and documented commitment?  This is worth understanding, because it is the difference between a voluntary choice and an enforceable requirement.

Again, per the minutes of the AC meeting, "To some extent, this creates a separate pre-existing ethical obligation to provide services to number registrations within our region. There can be policy changes, but changing this practice by completing abandoning service would require active consideration by the ARIN Board regarding how this obligation may evolve."

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN