[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - March 2011

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Fri Apr 8 14:35:06 EDT 2011

Hi, Chris.

(Sorry for my delayed response.  Travel, work, etc - all the normal excuses apply.)

On Mar 25, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Chris Grundemann wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consent_of_the_governed
>
> I'm familiar, but your point might be better made by being more
> specific; the linked article allows a lot of room for speculation.
> On the other hand, it may not matter which specific idea you are
> referring us to, since my response is the same in all cases: If folks
> out there want to see change in ARIN policy, all they have to do is
> come speak up - as you and I and every other member of the "active"
> community has done and is now doing.

As interested as I would be in a discussion of government consent models, that would miss the point entirely.  ARIN isn't a government body, and has no mandate to govern beyond its own organization.  Even the worlds most perfect open policy process would not be an excuse for expanding control beyond ARIN's scope.

And that is my basic premise - we are creating voluntary policy, to be enforced by a volunteer organization, on a community that voluntarily complies.  That reality should inform the core of our policy-making, even more so now that the free-pool is near its end.  ARIN should accommodate the community, or the community (that voluntarily complies) will shrink.

Cheers,
-Benson