[arin-ppml] 2010-8: Rework of IPv6 assignment criteria

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Sep 21 06:12:53 EDT 2010

> >> They likely will be looking for a single global PI IPv6 allocation
> for
> >> this new IPv6 based Air Traffic Network infrastructure soon.
> >
> > That is IANA's problem, not ours.
>
> While the RIR communities develop the policies that allow registrations
> in the IPv6 Global Unicast Address Assignments registry, you might want
> to reconsider that.

After some research I learned that the ICAO is headquartered in Montréal
and not Geneva as I had assumed. But even so, there is every likelihood
that this will simply calculate some large size block based on requirements
and it will fit in with the existing ARIN policy for ISPs. We will just give
them a /16 or /20 or whatever, and be done with it.

So far, there are no hard facts to indicate that this is anything out of
the ordinary except possibly for size. And if they decide to allocate a
/48 to every airport and a /64 to every aircraft out of some number of
footprints (100? 200?) covering the globe, this might be a lot less than
people think.

Perhaps someone could invite the ICAO to explain their plans at a NANOG
meeting to give us some visibility of their thinking and to give them the
opportunity to get some free consultancy in the corridors of the meeting.

Seems to me that ARIN's outreach programme is relevant as well, although it
is a bit short notice to do something at this year's assembly (oct 8th).

By the way if you search the ICAO site, they have a draft IPv6 addressing plan
explqaining how to carve up ground site /48s as well as airborne site /48s
There is also a statement that they will ask member states to acquire IPv6
address blocks from their local RIR for ground sites and the ICAO will only
apply for a block to cover the airborne sites.

There are currently about 500,000 aircraft worldwide including helicopters
which would require eight /32s to give each one a /48. That is a /29.
Round it up to a nibble boundary and you get a /28 which is the same kind
of allocation the medium large ISPs are getting. There is really no problem
here.

--Michael Dillon