[arin-ppml] 2010-8: Rework of IPv6 assignment criteria

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Sep 9 08:39:47 EDT 2010

On 9/9/10 05:18 CDT, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>>> c. By having a network consisting of a total of 1000 or more
>>> hosts, or;
>
> What is a "host"?
> A single factory could have over a thousand little sensor units with
> unique IPv4 addresses. Are those hosts?
>
> A single rented rack in an Equinox data center could have over 1000
> XEN virtual servers with unique IPv4 addresses. Are those hosts?
>
> --Michael Dillon

Yes, but we have that problem now, it is not a new one.

My intent for including this clause is to eliminate potential
inequities, right now if you have 1000 hosts you can justify getting
IPv4 address space, without being multihomed.  Therefore, you can
justify getting IPv6 space. Because anyone who can get IPv4 space must
be able to get IPv6 space to enable transition.

What I am trying to ensure is that the moment after IPv4 run-out occurs
that someone who qualified for both IPv4 and IPv6, still qualifies for
IPv6 even though there is no longer any IPv4 space left.

Long-term term I would prefer this clause were eliminated or that it
wasn't necessary.  However, I believe this cause is necessary in the
short-term to eliminate any discontinuity at the moment of IPv4 run-out.
  My intent in having it as a separate clause, is to make it easy to
eliminate at the proper time, like a year or two after IPv4 run-out.

I open to suggestions for a better way to achieve this goal, but I think
it is important that the moment of IPv4 run-out doesn't accidentally
change who is eligible for IPv6 address space. I believe this is
consistent with the current policy language and necessary during IPv4's
run-out phase,

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952