[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2010-10 - Global Policy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 1 20:31:12 EDT 2010

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 2, 2010, at 5:11 AM, "Hannigan, Martin" <marty at akamai.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/10 3:22 PM, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
>> Chris,
>>
>> Consider the following two possibilities:
>>
>> 1. We put forth a policy which can pass in the APNIC region which allows IANA
>> to allocate returned space.
>>
>> 2. We don't get a global policy and the ITU uses that fact as an example of
>> why the RIR system cannot be trusted with such a vital resource.
>
> Doesn't the discrepancy in transfer policy already do that?

Not in my opinion. While I agree that the APNIC transfer policy is irresponsible at best, we will not improve upon that situation by failing to pass a policy which allows iana to distribute any fragments it collects.

I think the better method of preventing APNIC from claiming blocks under that policy is simply not to pass return policies in the other region and if necessary work out individual region to region transfers.

Letting this block a global policy for redistribution makes us look bad. Passing one is largely a no-op without implementing language at each RIR.

>> I don't like APNICs transfer policy any more than you do, but I think there is
>> more at stake not having a global policy than the concern about what happens
>> to a few final breadcrumbs of IPv4 or any particular RIR getting more than
>> their share of those crumbs.
>

> I think that we get the message with regards to the transfer section and we
> already identified that the problem with the allocation method was a
> mechanical problem and an suggested update is pending.

I would like to strongly encourage you to consider the language that came out of the discussion at APNIC. It is simple, safe, and likely to pass in each region. I think passing language this go-around is very important as iana exhaustion will already predate implementation in the best cases.

Owen