[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-10 (Global Proposal): Global Policy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion - Last Call (text revised)

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Oct 29 13:48:41 EDT 2010

On 10/29/10 11:47 CDT, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> In a message written on Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 12:40:10PM -0400, ARIN wrote:
>> The AC made the following revisions to the text:
>>    - The second sentence in section 2 was changed into two sentences.
>> "Eligible address space includes addresses that are not designated as
>> "special use" by an IETF RFC. Address space may only be returned by the
>> issuing RIR."
>
> I am unsure if I am being pedantic here, or if there is an intent
> to exclude legacy space.
>
> Legacy space was not issued by any of the current RIR's.  ARIN may
> be able to claim it is the decendant of the issuer (warning, can
> of worms), but for instance other RIR's had legacy space transferred
> to them years ago.
>
> It is entirely possible to read that sentence as excluding legacy
> space as a result, which I hope was not the intention.
> s/issuing/responsible/ would clear up any confusion, although I'm
> uncleaer why the sentence is needed at all.  Do we really need to
> state that IANA shouldn't accept back an APNIC block if RIPE is the
> one trying to return it?

I believe it would help if you looked at section 2 in its entirety, and
not just the part that was changed.

----

2. Returning Address Space to the IANA
The IANA will accept into the Reclamation Pool all eligible IPv4 address
space that are offered for return. Eligible address space includes
addresses that are not designated as "special use" by an IETF RFC.
Address space may only be returned by the issuing RIR. Legacy address
holders may return address space directly to the IANA if they so choose.

----

When you read the section in its entirety, I believe it is clear that
Legacy address space is included.

Further more, yes it is a can of worms but, I believe it is ARIN's
position that ARIN is essentially the issuing RIR for Legacy address
space within the ARIN region, as through contracts it is successor
registry to the previous registries that made the Legacy allocations.
Additionally, I it is my understanding that the other RIRs have much
cleaner contractual relationships with their Legacy holders.

But, the final sentence in the section makes all that a moot point, as
it explicitly gives Legacy holders of address space the ability to
return address space to IANA directly, if the choose to.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952