[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-12: IPv6 Subsequent Allocation - Last Call (text revised)

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sat Oct 16 13:32:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:10 AM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> The ARIN Advisory Council (AC) met on 8 October 2010 and decided to
> send the following draft policy to last call:
> Draft Policy 2010-12
> IPv6 Subsequent Allocation
>
> Version/Date: 13 October 2010
>
> Policy statement:
>
> Modify 6.5.2.1 Subsequent allocation criteria. Add the following:
>
> Subsequent allocations will also be considered for deployments that
> cannot be accommodated by, nor were accounted for, under the initial
> allocation. Justification for the subsequent subnet size will be based
> on the plan and technology provided with a /24 being the maximum allowed
> for a transition technology. Justification for these allocations will be
> reviewed every 3 years and reclaimed if it is not in use. All such
> allocations for transitional technology will be made from a block
> designated for this purpose.

I support 2010-12, but would like to see the phrase "reclaimed if it is not
in use" replaced with "reclaimed if it is no longer in use for transitional
purposes."  This space is *just* for use for transitional technologies,
not for native v6, there are separate allocation policies in place to handle
native deployments, and we need to ensure that people do no simply
start putting native customers on this space, and then never give it
up, citing the "still in use" clause.  I really, really don't want to see
transitional mechanisms turn into the new swamp.  Once the transition
is done, and you've gone native...give back the transitional block, and
move on.

Thanks!

Matt