[arin-ppml] Policy requests

Alex Lanstein ALanstein at FireEye.com
Fri Oct 15 20:10:14 EDT 2010

First off, apologies if any of these have been brought up before, but I've spoken with a number of ARIN members and have each time been encouraged to post some thoughts to PPML.  I understand all new policies must come from the community, but I don't doubt I'll be showing my naiveté with how things work at ARIN.

1) ICANN has a policy for certain TLDs that WHOIS details must be accurate.  There are many issues with this, such as enforceability and the use of privacy proxies, but enforcement is impossible without a clear policy to begin with.  Is there a reason ARIN does not have a policy against fraudulent SWIPing and fake PTR records?  I was told to look at Paragraph 8 of the RSA, but it really doesn't address my concern --- https://www.arin.net/resources/agreements/rsa.pdf.

I think it makes sense that ARIN have the same policies on accuracy of SWIPing, and that there should be some language that prevents someone from creating fraudulent reverse records.

2) I believe I should be able to review the network diagrams for requests of IP allocations that are not flagged as confidential.  I understand there needs to be a mechanism to protect trade secrets, but at the same time, it would make sense to be as open as possible.  I wouldn't expect to see the blueprints for a new CIA building, but I would for a new road in my town.

3) I think there should be a mechanism to allow researchers to advertise IP space that has been abandoned by criminals.  There are lots of corner cases of course, but this sort of thing is already happening, with 1/8 being advertised recently as a research project.  Perhaps the easiest way to accommodate this would be to wait until the IP allocation expires due to non-payment, then assign that to a researcher.  For instance, it would be very nice to be able to advertise ex-mccolo space, sinkhole the data to Shadowserver, then provide telemetry back into the ISP community about infections.

Thanks,

Alex Lanstein
(not speaking for my employer)