[arin-ppml] Controlling the IPv6 address consumption rate

Heather Schiller heather.skanks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 13:51:12 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:16 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:54 AM,  <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
>>> Responsible management demands that we treat some portion of that 22
>>> bits as a consumption suppressor so that we don't quickly run out of
>>> IPv6 addresses. Whatever is left over, be it 4 bits, 20, or anything
>>> in between, that's the number of bits we can actually afford to use
>>> for nice-to-haves, like a larger standard end-user assignment than /60
>>> (/56 or /48), sparse assignment and so on.
>>
>> Whoaaa there!!!
>> The IETF defined standard end user assignment is /48.
>> That is not a nice-to-have, that is the standard. ARIN policy, and every
>> other RIR policy accepts end user assignments of /48 as standard.
>
> Michael,
>
> At the same time (maybe even in the same RFC), the IETF decided that
> end users would not multihome using BGP with multiple ISPs under IPv6.
> That too is the official standard.

Bill,

   I don't believe IETF ever "decided that end users would not
multihome using bgp with multiple ISP's"   It was more like they
repeatedly tried to create an alternate method of multihoming that did
not rely on *deaggregation* (LISP, SHIM6, LIN6, HIP, MAST..) in
combination with IPv6 Auto-Config - so that end users could use PA
space to multihome with minimal impact on the routing table and easily
renumber from their provider (as comparatively to v4).  But then we
passed the end user IPv6 assignment policy and instantly lost the much
of the motivation to complete that work.

> We always listen to what the folks in the IETF have to say, but
> sometimes they don't know what the eff they're talking about.

 Maybe rather than just listening to what the folks in IETF have to
say, operators should participate more, in order to develop solutions
that are operationally feasible.  Be a part of the solution.  Much
like the ARIN community and policy development process, there is a
mechanism to participate in the development of IETF standards.