[arin-ppml] [Spam] Re: Opposed to 2010-9 and 2010-12

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 15 13:12:26 EDT 2010

On Oct 15, 2010, at 5:22 AM, <michael.dillon at bt.com> <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

>>> Some ISPs will make dumb engineering decisions but that is not
>>> really ARIN's problem. The marketplace will sort that out once
>>> customers realise
>> that
>>> they
>>> are being shortchanged and can't get their new InternetHDTV home
>> theater
>>> system
>>> working because it expects to have its own /64 assignment.
>>
>> Why in the world would a single device require a /64?
>
> What single device? The *SYSTEM* is composed of an Internet connected receiver that prefers to be connected by wire to the Internet gateway router, a distribution box which streams over a non-wifi wireless system to a master screen, an audio system, and up to two satellite screen/audio combos, as well as an optional wireline to the master screen and master audio system. The distribution box can stream up to three distinct streams and will connect to a network storage device over GigE. It also supports wifi connectivity (which is routed) to the normal home network devices to allow viewing of any other media that you happen to have at home.
>
> All the home theater system devices communicate on their own /64.
> They also route that address to the wifi to allow you to manage the system remotely.
>
> All hypothetical of course expect that I know that some people in research labs are thinking this same way and, in particular, home theater manufacturers are thinking along these lines.

Not so hypothetical... I have most of that in my house today, x2.

System 1:
Yamaha RXV-3900
Apple TV
TiVO HD XL
PS-3
Wii
LG internet Connected LED TV

System 2:
Yamaha RXV-3900
iMac HDMI
Toshiba Blu-Ray Player
Sharp Aquos with Ethernet

Media Server:
Apple iMac 27" i7 quad core with firewire-800 attached 20TB array

Admittedly, none of these devices support IPv6 (yet) other
than the iMac, but, hopefully the vendors will fix that soon.

Owen