[arin-ppml] Opposed to 2010-9 and 2010-12

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Oct 15 08:13:27 EDT 2010

> Or, the CPE vendors could figure out how to manage with a single /64 if
> that's the least common denominator offered. It won't work as well as
> it
> could have, will cause more problems, cost more overall, etc. than if
> routing were available, but if it works just well enough to mask the
> feedback loop to the Marketplace that you are counting on here, then
> the
> battle is lost. Never underestimate the power of local optimization.

Do you have any evidence that DOCSIS 3.0 or the Broadband Forum equivalent
design, actually do treat /64 as some kind of lowest common denominator?

In fact, I just pulled up TR-187 from the Broadband Forum and it says:

the Broadband Forum suggests a size for the delegated prefix of least a /60 for home network or SOHO environments with a recommended prefix length of /56. The delegated prefix may be extended to a /48 for larger organizations.

Seems to me that you are just spreading FUD. CPE vendors are going to
implement according to DOCSIS 3.0 and Broadband Forum specs. They are
not going to make up their own thing.

--Michael Dillon