[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - October 2010

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Thu Oct 14 14:20:17 EDT 2010

On 10/13/10 5:34 PM, "Scott Leibrand" <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Hannigan, Martin <marty at akamai.com> wrote:
>>
>> I do believe that the two reasons presented for the tabling of one of the
>> proposals on the AC docket are weak to say the least. That is the only issue
>> at hand and worthy of discussion. Otherwise, we're going in circles and we
>> may as well not bother.
>
> Would you care to address the question of whether we should wait until each
> RIR has had a chance to discuss the proposal at a public meeting before we
> send it on to last call and then to the board?

What are the reasons to wait? If clarity edits are required the current
global PDP has an accommodation for that. Major edits, especially after
consensus in this region or review in others requires resubmission to all
forums regardless. Pausing might save time with respect to the
round-the-world requirements, but seems like it only saves anything
significant and worthwhile if all RIR's had a pause, something that would
probably need to be codified in the ICANN <> RIR MoU. Opening that can of
worms is undesirable since one or the other may be at a significant
[dis]advantage point than when the agreement was previously negotiated.
Changing terms of agreements with RIR's at this stage of v4 depletion is
probably unwise, but I trust that John Curran has a handle on.

This is the second time that the ARIN AC has introduced instability into the
global pdp. That's not a defect of the current process IMHO, it's a failure
to follow the guidelines and an exploit of the process with the regional
PDP. From my perspective, ARIN region global policy handling is broken.

> I support this proposal, but I think it has a better chance of success if we
> work to accept input from the other regions.

I disagree, and I continue to be concerned that this action wasn't very well
thought out and that has and continues to be my point with respect to policy
handling [never mind this proposal with respect to that].

I hope that is helpful to your internal AC discussions with regards to
proposal handling and the PDP.

Best,

-M<