[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-12: IPv6 Subsequent Allocation - Last Call (text revised)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Oct 13 16:10:34 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 2:10 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Draft Policy 2010-12
> IPv6 Subsequent Allocation
>
> Policy statement:
>
> Modify 6.5.2.1 Subsequent allocation criteria. Add the following:
>
> Subsequent allocations will also be considered for deployments that
> cannot be accommodated by, nor were accounted for, under the initial
> allocation. Justification for the subsequent subnet size will be based
> on the plan and technology provided with a /24 being the maximum allowed
> for a transition technology. Justification for these allocations will be
> reviewed every 3 years and reclaimed if it is not in use. All such
> allocations for transitional technology will be made from a block
> designated for this purpose.

This is much better but I think it could still benefit from a little tweaking.

I suggest replacing "Justification...transition technology" with:

"Justification for the subsequent subnet size will be based on the
plan and technology provided. No organization may hold more than a /24
under this subsection."

I'm being a little pedantic here, but the language doesn't specify
transition technologies for allowing an additional allocation yet does
specify transition technologies for the limit. I think it's smart not
to limit the application to "transition technologies" but the safety
limit should apply across the board.

The text also specifies /24 as the limit per allocation. It doesn't
clearly stop folks from coming back for additional /24 allocations.

I realize this is a last call, but given the time constraints for this
policy to be helpful, I offer these suggestions here in lieu of
objecting to the major changes from draft to last call that would
ordinarily recommend returning the document to discussion for the next
meeting.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004