[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM, George, Wes E IV [NTK]
<Wesley.E.George at> wrote:
>> Respectfully, "does it actually work" is germane to -every- policy
>> discussion.
> [WES] Never said otherwise. Matter of fact, I think that's exactly
>what I'm saying, Bill. Does preemptively assigning every ASN in
>the table an IPv6 address actually work (by itself) in getting
>them to deploy? You say

I say it moves the ball down field so that the next play or the play
after is in a position to score. That's how you succeed in any major
endeavor - one step at a time.

> Seriously, regardless of what metaphor you use, we're not
>actively doing something to prevent people from getting IPv6
>allocations if they can justify them (except possibly for 6rd).

If we ratify 2010-8 I'll agree with you, at least for end-user
assignments. I respect that you would like to stop there. Stopping
there is fair.

I'd like to go the extra mile -- not just remove barriers but reach
out and actively advocate deployment. As a matter of advocacy, it
stands undisputed that:

"Here are your shiny new addresses. Please start using them."

is a vastly more powerful message than

"You should use IPv6. Pay us and fill out the permission slip."

Bill Herrin

William D. Herrin ................ herrin at  bill at
3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <>
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004