[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 12 15:37:39 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:
> $1250 is not very much, but it is enough that it prevents organizations
> from getting it because of authorization levels required.

Folks, we can easily get lost in whether or not this observation is
reasonable. Reasonable or not, it's reality. The question for the rest
of us, then, is this:

Do we want to sit around and wait for these guys while maintaining our
costly dual stacks? Or should we remove the issue from the equation so
that it no longer stands in the way of any IPv6 deployments?

Preemptive assignment is no magic bullet. Some of these folks will
just find the next reason for delay. But why allow ARIN to be the
reason they haven't deployed yet?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004