[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 12 14:15:01 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Brian Johnson <bjohnson at drtel.com> wrote:
>>"Why not look in the BGP table, take every announced ARIN AS number
>>and preemptively assign IPv6 addresses to each associated organization
>>that doesn't already have them? Not forever of course... give it three
>>years and then the assignments evaporate unless claimed by signing an
>>RSA and paying the annual fees."
>
> AS assignment != demonstrated need.

Brian,

I agree. That's why I said _announced_ AS numbers, not merely assigned.

If there's a credible reason to believe that folks announcing IPv4
routes with their own AS number today will radically change course and
deploy IPv6 without announcing their own IPv6 routes tomorrow, I
haven't heard it yet. Have you?

I claim that anyone actually announcing routes with a registry AS
number has demonstrated a defacto need for registry IPv6 addresses.

How does it benefit you and how does it benefit me to wait until the
75% of ISPs that haven't signed on yet get around to asking for IPv6
addresses? It doesn't! Your successful deployment of IPv6 is tied to
theirs. Let's get the allocation process done. These are folks who
won't begin their IPv6 deployment until _after_ they have IPv6
addresses in hand. Every day you save in their deployment process
benefits _you_.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004