[arin-ppml] Opposed to 2010-9 and 2010-12

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Oct 10 08:27:01 EDT 2010

On Oct 10, 2010, at 1:20 AM, Joe Maimon wrote:

> Owen DeLong wrote:
>> On Oct 7, 2010, at 1:20 PM, Joe Maimon wrote:
>>

>>> Does it provide enough space only for whom a /32 for native was enough or for all?
>>>

>> By definition a /24 is enough for any ISP to do /56s for all of their IPv4 customers because
>> there are only 32 bits in IPv4. Since 6rd contains a mapping of the IPv4 /32 into the
>> IPv6 address, this is pretty basic.
>>
>> Perhaps I don't understand your question.
>>
>> Owen
>>

> Is there any reason a large ISP might want more than one 6rd scheme?

Not that I can think of, and, the real problem with 6rd is that it doesn't matter what
size ISP you are... From the tiniest to the largest, they all consume the same
messed up prefix size for the same number of end bits to the end site.

So even a tiny ISP with 100 customers, if they want to give /56s to their end sites
will still consume 56-32 = /24.

Owen