[arin-ppml] Opposed to 2010-9 and 2010-12

Christopher Morrow christopher.morrow at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 23:01:23 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, I can't support that without safeguards to make sure that we
>> can deprecate 6rd.
>
> if something gets cooked into the network for perhaps a decade it's not
> coming out easily. the ability to deprecate it is tied either to it's
> nature as a short-term bandaid, which I'm not sure I buy or it's failure
> in the marketplace. I see no reason to presuppose the latter.

I agree with Joel here, I think once 6rd goes in... if the support is
in linecards/interfaces and CPE and 'low cost' to the devices in
question (happens in hardware on the ingress interface of the SP
router, for instance) then... There's not much incentive to migrate
away from it. I can see it staying deployed for a very long time.
(unless of course there are no ipv4 numbers to be used in the ISP...)

-Chris