[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Oct 8 22:28:16 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Christopher Morrow
<christopher.morrow at gmail.com> wrote:
> according to the presos at ARIN this week... it's pretty simple to get
> your for-real addresses. one would suggest a solid numbering plan, and
> understanding of what technology you may need to employ for your
> deployment are good to have in hand, though not required for initial
> assignment.

Sure. Getting IPv6 addresses is easy. Like getting a vaccine. You pay
for it, get pricked, endure and it's all good.

But do you only want to assure that -your- kids to get the vaccine? Or
do you want -everybody- to get the vaccine so that the disease itself
dies out and doesn't haunt you again year after year? If we've truly
learned how to beat the disease, is it not worth it as a matter of
public policy to preemptively provide everybody with the vaccine?

We beat smallpox. Let's beat IPv4. ;-)

>> With the new tech out there like 6rd, what's your best guess as to
>> what size a preemptive ISP allocation should be for those 2661
>> ARIN-region ISPs (75%) that haven't yet gotten their IPv6 allocations?
>
> that probably depends a LOT on what sort of ISP these are, and what
> their deployment today looks like (for v4 services). For instance, are
> they a:
>  o hosting company (seems like fairly simple 'drop a v6 addr on your
> gear, slap one toward the customer-ip, done!)
>  o transit/business ISP (put ipv6 on your devices, offer prefixes to
> your customers, done!)
>  o consumer ISP (cable/dsl/ftth/etc - see deployment situations for issues)

Do you have any ideas on how to tell the difference in a relatively
automated manner? I know how to test for whether you hold an
allocation, but I'm not sure how to test for what kind of allocation
holder you are.

If we can't tell the difference, does that negate the value in
preemptive allocation? If it doesn't then let's make an educated guess
as to what size is likely to be useful, recognizing that anyone who
finds they received the wrong size is in no worse shape than they are
without preemptive allocation.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004