[arin-ppml] IPv6 Transition Policy (aka Rocky Beach)

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Fri Oct 8 12:44:25 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Problem Statement:
> We have failed to deploy dual-stack in a meaningful way in time to
> avoid transition problems
>
> Objectives:
> -1- Encourage IPv6 deployment prior to depletion
> -2- Enable growth of IPv4 where IPv6 is being deployed
> -3- Improve the utilization of IP addresses
>
> High-Level Requirements:
> -1- ARIN will only make allocations and assignments for networks that
> have already deployed production IPv6

Including transfers, even if specified to a designated recipient.

> -2- Any IPv4 addresses received under this policy, must be deployed
> along side of IPv6
> -3- This policy will encourage deployment of IPv6 in existing IPv4-only networks
>
> Rough Policy Text:
> ~ Requester defines classes in their network - only classes where IPv6
> is in production qualify for IPv6

What the heck do you mean by a "class"?

> ~ New addresses must be deployed on dual-stacked interfaces plus one
> additional existing IPv4-only interface must be dual stacked, up to
> 80% of all interfaces.
> ~ The service that the address is used to provide must be fully IPv6
> accessible (if you deploy an A record, you must also have a AAAA and
> both must answer)

Obviously, ARIN can't check this before allocating the space; move
that to a review clause, not requirement for allocation.

> ~ All end-sites must dual-stack all Internet facing services before
> getting this space

you mean, all *existing* end-sites for that ISP?  Since you can't
very well be talking about new end-sites that will come on using
the new space they haven't gotten yet.

I think that clause is a non-starter for this proposal.  All it takes is
one customer not dual-stacking to shut the whole effort down.

> ~ For each down stream customer site where these addresses are
> deployed, another pre-existing IPv4 only down stream site must also be
> IPv6 enabled, up to 80% of the total customer base.
>

> This is an emergency, let's get something together ASAP. All feedback
> is extremely welcome and greatly appreciated; this problem is all of
> ours. If you are still here in Atlanta come find me, Marty Hannigan
> and/or Jason Schiller to discuss.
>
> Thanks!
> ~Chris

A worthy effort, Chris, but this is a bit too extreme.  We need to make
it more realistic, or it'll go nowhere.

More thoughts after I land, must head to airport now.

Matt