[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Brandon Thetford <brandon at> wrote:
>>can I point you (and these netadmins) at mr leber runs a
> very nice service, with your ASN (or not) you can get a /48 routed down a
> tunnel to you for this very purpose.
> Yes, but this also comes with the need to renumber once you finally get a
> "real" allocation, down the line.  That alone may be enough to scare some
> off until an alternative, more permanent solution is available.

Tunnels are nifty. I learned a great deal about IPv6 using tunnels.
Thank you Hurricane Electric.

Now I'm done with tunnels. I'll start my for-real IPv6 deployment once
I have my for-real addresses.

Don't kid yourselves. The other existing Origin ASes will start their
for-real IPv6 deployments only after obtaining registry addresses as

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Christopher Morrow
<christopher.morrow at> wrote:
> I suspect a /32 is probably NOT
> enough for most ISP-type folks anyway, so just assigning a random /32
> isn't super helpful...

With the new tech out there like 6rd, what's your best guess as to
what size a preemptive ISP allocation should be for those 2661
ARIN-region ISPs (75%) that haven't yet gotten their IPv6 allocations?

Bill Herrin

William D. Herrin ................ herrin at  bill at
3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <>
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004