[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Oct 7 17:11:13 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Andrew Koch <andrew.koch at gawul.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:46, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> "Why not look in the BGP table, take every announced ARIN AS number
>> and preemptively assign IPv6 addresses to each associated organization
>> that doesn't already have them? Not forever of course... give it three
>> years and then the assignments evaporate unless claimed by signing an
>> RSA and paying the annual fees."
>

> What size allocation would you assign to any given AS?  For those who
> do not hold any resources besides an AS?

Hi Andrew,

If your AS is in the BGP table, there are two situations:

1. Transit only AS - no need for an assignment.
2. Origin AS - need an assignment.

If the AS never appears at the start of the AS path then it doesn't
need an assignment. We can give it one if we feel like it. Won't hurt
anything. It'll evaporate when they don't claim it. But we don't have
to.

Of the Origin ASes, some are announcing ARIN allocations to the same
organization, some are announcing ARIN assignments to the same
organization and some are announcing something else.

The ones announcing at least one ARIN allocation get a /32. The ones
announcing anything else get a /48. If the recipient thinks that's the
wrong size, then he trades it in, fills out paperwork with ARIN and is
no worse off than he is without the preemptive action. The other 95%
of the time, we picked an acceptable size.

Either way we've poked the registrant with a message saying, "Here are
your flashy new addresses, please go deploy." That's mildly more
persuasive than, "You should deploy. Please pay us and beg
permission."

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Christopher Morrow
<christopher.morrow at gmail.com> wrote:
> either way, 'win' (and v6 deployment). If the 'cgn' is merely v4
> nat44... then things just keep chugging along, eh?
>
> I must have missed the point...

Chris,

You don't mind me waiting until I need more v4 and it's too expensive
on the market? I'll take that under advisement.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004