[arin-ppml] Preemptive IPv6 assignment

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Oct 7 14:58:57 EDT 2010

 On 07 Oct 2010 10:46, William Herrin wrote:
> "Why not look in the BGP table, take every announced ARIN AS number
> and preemptively assign IPv6 addresses to each associated organization
> that doesn't already have them? Not forever of course... give it three
> years and then the assignments evaporate unless claimed by signing an
> RSA and paying the annual fees."

I'm not fond of the idea of assigning/allocating resources to folks who
haven't asked for them, if for no other reason than such blocks will be
very attractive to fraudsters, spammers, etc.

The process for getting an initial IPv6 assignment or allocation is
already ridiculously simple, and there is no shortage of blocks to hand
out.  The effort (and cost) required to ask for a new block would be
roughly equivalent to the effort required to "claim" a preemptively
assigned/allocated block, so I see no functional difference.  What,
exactly, is this supposed to accomplish?