[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-14: Standardize IP Reassignment Registration Requirements

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 5:27 PM, ARIN <info at> wrote:
> Draft Policy 2010-14
> Standardize IP Reassignment Registration Requirements
> ## IPv6 ##
> Reassignment information
> Each IPv6 assignment containing a /64 or more addresses shall be
> registered in the WHOIS directory via SWIP or a distributed service

Hi folks,

At the mic yesterday I offered to mild applause, a view that requiring
-more- IPv6 paperwork was not a timely thing to consider. As we
struggle to put IPv6 in users' hands, we need extra red tape like a we
need holes in the head.

On the other hand, our friends in law enforcement offered persuasive
arguments for the value of good and open reassignment documentation,
while wiser folks than I pointed out the value of knowing up front
what documentation will be expected and when.

So, I propose this compromise:

Let's optimize the documentation requirements and let's publish them.
But let's include this caveat:

"In the interests of facilitating IPv6 deployment, IPv6 reassignment
documentation requirements shall not be enforced before 1/1/2015."

Bill Herrin

William D. Herrin ................ herrin at  bill at
3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <>
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004