[arin-ppml] Final draft of 2010-13 for Atlanta (Rev 1.55)

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Sat Oct 2 00:46:09 EDT 2010

Not to beat a dead horse, but...

On 9/30/10 9:44 AM, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>> I don't believe that we're saying anything different with respect to
>> inequities. Look at it from this perspective; if you have 1M /28
>> reservations and you have 1 x /18 reservation, in order to fulfill all or
>> most of the /28's you'll eat away at the /18.
>>
> And if you have 1,000 /25s and 1 /18 you'll eat away at the /25s in order
> to give something to the /18 guy. Correct. Not giving the entire available
> space to the first guy in line just because he got there a couple of hours
> ahead isn't my idea of unfair.

Let's look at populated sample pool with the minimum set to /25:

50% = /25
40% = /24
5% = /20
5% = /18

Let's reduce the pool by 50%

50% lose nothing
40% lose 128 addrs
5% lose 2,048 addresses
5% lose 8,192 address

Let's show cost @ $1,000 per addr to amplify the damage

128 replacement addresses = $128,000.00
2,048 replacement addresses = $2,048,000.00
8,192 replacement address = $8,192,000.00

[ clip ]

[ clip ]

>>> I do think your estimate of $1,000 per /32 is speculative at best.
>>
>> What do you think that this cost is currently?
>>
> Since I don't have any legitimate address trading data to back it up, and,
> since to the best of my knowledge, no-one has exercised 8.3 as yet,
> neither do you, I would argue that any number would be speculative
> at best.

I chose $1,000 as an amplifier since it certainly draws attention and I
think that based on what I know about the market, it's feasible.

The data at the below URL is almost three years old, but still relevant with
respect to a normative number:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-57/presentations/van_Mook-2007-08_v3.
Pdf

I have other data points on current pricing. I'm not the market maker so
please see me at the NANOG or ARIN meeting to discuss if needed. Anyone for
that matter - if you are truly interested in what's coming down the road.

[ clip ]

>> Not sure what the relevance of the follow-up is. No one is advocating that
>> anyone be able to land grab. Any policy that allows that is deficient. I'm
>> advocating that we abandon this proposal again.
>>
> But you're opposing this proposal specifically because it doesn't
> allow for the land grab.

Why don't you build your own financial analysis of this proposal instead of
speculating on motive then? I haven't even factored in the cost of capital
needed or the accounting method to expense the addresses which would raise
the costs higher.

Hope that makes it clearer as to why I am opposing. There simply has to be a
better way.

Best,

-M<