[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 119: Globally Coordinated Transfer Policy - revised

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Nov 28 09:28:56 EST 2010

On Nov 28, 2010, at 6:11 AM, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> "cja at daydream.com" <packetgrrl at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> How do folks feel about how transfers between regions would affect
>> the routing table?   We would be in essence punching holes in RIR
>> blocks.   This depends entirely on whether there are ISPs filtering
>> or aggregating on regional boundaries based on RIR /8 block
>> allocations.
>
> I don't see much effect on the routing table for reasons others have
> already mentioned.  I do see an increase in work for those who use IP
> address country of registration as part of a reputation scheme (for
> instance, spam filtering, credit card fraud avoidance, etc).
> Commentary about the effectiveness of such schemes should be
> cheerfully ignored; the point is that some organizations want to use
> them and it makes a certain amount of sense to require (for instance)
> that one do a handshake with one's credit card provider before it is
> possible to use one's card outside of his or her home country.

Reasonable or not, effective or not, they are hardly, in my opinion,
a blocking consideration for policy. I believe it is up to the banking
industry to adapt to IP policy.

Admittedly, having been on the receiving end of such a (misguided)
idea of security (unrelated to credit card, i was attempting to verify
the posting of a mortgage payment) while I was in Rwanda, I can
honestly say that the current problem with such schemes is that
they appear to work well enough.

If anything, this policy will benefit the internet by making it even
more obvious that topology!=geography and addresses are
not subject  to export controls, immigration, or customs
clearance.

Indeed, integers have virtually no travel restrictions regardless
of any policies we put in place.

Owen