[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 122: Reserved Pool for Future Policy Development

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Nov 24 16:08:38 EST 2010

> To put it simply, we have set aside a "Dedicated IPv4 block to
> facilitate IPv6 Deployment", and I am arguing that we may need a
> "Dedicated IPv4 block to keep the IPv4 internet from falling apart".
> I can't be sure though, and I can't be sure we can't do both.
> Reserve it all, find out what goes wrong and where the need is
> greatest, and then pass a policy quickly to address it.  1-3 months
> of no space followed by relief where it is needed most is far more
> useful than the chance blowing the space on something other than
> the greatest need.

We know we will need a dedicated IPv4 block to facilitate IPv6
deployment.

We may need a dedicated IPv4 block to keep the IPv4 internet from
falling apart (if such is even actually possible, I have my doubts).

Seems to me that it is imprudent to raid the block we know we need
to create the block we may need.

Hence my suggestion that 122 would be more palatable if it set aside
a separate /10 for that purpose rather than raiding 4.10.

Owen