[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 119: Globally Coordinated Transfer Policy - revised

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Nov 24 04:29:52 EST 2010

On Nov 24, 2010, at 3:28 AM, cja at daydream.com wrote:

> Who decides whether the " two
> RIRs agree and exercise Internet stewardship and the values expressed in
> RFC2050."  ?
>
> Who makes the process for that?  What happens if they don't agree?

Cathy -

   Short of any additional guidance in the policy, I can explain how ARIN
   staff would implement that language.  In the case of ARIN, we would
   maintain of a list of RIRs which we've reviewed and concur implement
   the principles in RFC 2050.  I imagine that the other RIRs would make
   similar assessments & lists, and in the case of mutual alignment, then
   inter-RIR transfers would be possible.

   This actually shouldn't be too difficult, since it is common for the RIRs
   to reference these principles in their policy framework and further that
   each RIR has agreed to them as part of setting the ICANN ICP-2 global
   policy for recognition of an Regional Internet Registry.

   The language appears to be far more likely relevant if a RIR to abandon
   the stewardship principles in the future, as then we would not be able to
   participate in transfers via that entity (i.e. whether such an entity would
   still qualify as an RIR under such circumstances is a different question)

Does this address your question?

/John

John Curran
President and CEO