[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 122: Reserved Pool for Future Policy Development

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Nov 19 02:30:20 EST 2010

On Nov 18, 2010, at 4:20 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 23:09, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>> ARIN received the following policy proposal and is posting it to the
>> Public Policy Mailing List (PPML) in accordance with the Policy
>> Development Process.
>> Policy Proposal 122: Reserved Pool for Future Policy Development
>
> While I can see the appeal of saving the last space "just in case",
> I would only consider supporting a reserved pool if it came with
> a (not too far out) sunset date after which any reserved pool would
> return to (unreserved) normal status if no follow up policy proposal
> could achieve consensus.  One should not get unlimited trips
> (and time) to the trough while others have a documented need
> for the resources.

This policy proposal provides for that to happen in 2011 (although
understanding this requires a careful reading of the proposal).

What this policy also does is prevent anyone from using the 4.10
reserved space as it was intended in the 4.10 policy and requires
a full additional policy cycle to create new terms under which it
can be used.

I think that reserving space for IPv6 transitional mechanisms makes
sense. I think that translating that into the need for new policy
to be rushed through the policy process or the space reverts
to general usage is short sighted and harmful.

Owen