[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 122: Reserved Pool for Future Policy Development

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Thu Nov 18 21:14:11 EST 2010

On 11/19/10 2:40 AM, "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:

> In a message written on Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 08:21:37PM -0500, Hannigan,
> Martin wrote:

[ clip ]

> Now, if you want my input, here it is:
>
> - We keep the /10 "off limits" to everyone through "run out", as
>   is I believe already the current policy.
>

> - We wait a minimum of 6 months, and probably more like 12-18 months to
>   see what unforseen problems occur around run-out, and if they need
>   space.

The term on this is some number of months away. I doubt that we'll have
something worked out before the next meeting that will reset the expiration.
I think it's important to start the discussion and don't see why we can't do
that with this. 20 OCT 2011 is ~11 months away.

> - If after that time there are critical issues, we write policy to
>   allocate the space in ways that solve the problems.

[ .. ]

>   If thre are no unforseen problems we set aside a very small amount
>   for critical infrastructure (on the order of a /18-/20 would be my
>   guess) and hand out the rest via normal mechanisms.

OK.

Best,

-M<