[arin-ppml] Sensible IPv6 Allocation Policies - Rev 0.8 (PP 121)

lar at mwtcorp.net lar at mwtcorp.net
Thu Nov 18 14:15:13 EST 2010

I strongly support.

> The ARIN Advisory Council (AC) will review the proposal at their next
> regularly scheduled meeting (if the period before the next regularly
> scheduled meeting is less than 10 days, then the period may be extended
> to the subsequent regularly scheduled meeting). The AC will decide how
> to utilize the proposal and announce the decision to the PPML.
>
> The AC invites everyone to comment on the proposal on the PPML,
> particularly their support or non-support and the reasoning
> behind their opinion. Such participation contributes to a thorough
> vetting and provides important guidance to the AC in their deliberations.

  While a /32 at first glance looked like way more addresses than we needed,
when I started engineering the network into my locations it quickly
became clear that /48 was out for all but my largest business
customers. /56 or /60's are all I could manage for SOHO and residential
customers
and still have a reasonably manageable network.

>>    8. Rationale:
>
>> The current ISP policy for IPv6 allocations is both short-sighted and
>> insufficient for rational deployments by most ISPs. We have gained
>> significant operational experience with IPv6 in the time since it was
>> written and it is clear that current policy is driving many ISPs to
>> choices of excess conservatism that will eventually harm innovation in
>> the consumer space.

Larry Ash
Network Administrator
Mountain West Telephone