[arin-ppml] Sensible IPv6 Allocation Policies - Rev 0.8 (PP 121)

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Thu Nov 18 12:54:36 EST 2010

> > However, I really don't think that the IPv6 DFZ size is of
tremendous
> concern.
> > I think that the DFZ size is much more of an IPv4 issue. The IPv6
> DFZ, even
> > when IPv6 is fully deployed is likely to be less than 20% of the
> current
> > IPv4 DFZ.

Larger allocations should allow for better aggregation, but not always.
Aggregation is possible where all subnets are connected and share access
to the DFZ.  In the case of facilities not directly connected, it is not
always possible to aggregate.

So, overall I would expect that the impact of this would, as Owen said,
be neutral or possibly reduce the DFZ routing table somewhat by allowing
greater aggregation in many cases, rather than having several smaller
blocks.

George