[arin-ppml] REQUEST FOR ARIN STAFF Was: Re: Policy Proposal 120: Protecting Number Resources

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Nov 9 17:31:11 EST 2010

On 09 Nov 2010 14:03, Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2010, at 11:50 AM, John Curran wrote:
>> 2004:  29.00 /16s
>> 2005:  14.61 /16s
>> 2006:  14.01 /16s
>> 2007:  30.50 /16s
>> 2008:   8.45 /16s
>> 2009:   8.37 /16s
>> 2010*:  5.84 /16s   (*through Oct 31, 2010)
>>
>> Total: 110.78 /16s
> So in almost 7 years, we've reclaimed less than we gave Comcast last week.
>
> Looks like a pretty small problem with minimal gain to me.

Keep in mind that's how much ARIN has reclaimed passively, i.e. based on
reports of fraud, or due to non-payment of annual fees.

There seems to be a fairly strong consensus that the numbers would be
significantly larger if ARIN were actively looking for abandoned or
unjustified resources.

Also, keep in mind that the goal is _not_ to reclaim a significant
amount of space, e.g. to extend the lifetime of IPv4, so how the
reclamation rate compares to the allocation/assignment rate is irrelevant.