[arin-ppml] REQUEST FOR ARIN STAFF Was: Re: Policy Proposal 120: Protecting Number Resources

On Nov 9, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> I have a request for some data from ARIN staff I think would help
> people evaluate this policy.
> Can ARIN tell ppml how many IPv4 number resources were reclaimed/revoked
> last year (last 12 months, calendar 2009, whatever is handy) for
> non-payment?

A summary is presented at each ARIN meeting during the Registration
Services report:
(slide 4)  This is a total cumulative slide and reflects space in
/16 equivalents; we can work on getting a more granular breakdown
if that would be useful.  This has lines for returned, revoked (for
non-payment), and reclaimed (generally due to fraud).

> My thinking is non-payment largely indicates abandoned resources
> allocated under RSA.  Since ARIN actually has the non-payment hook
> under the RSA, it can give us a glimpse into the order of magnitude
> of the problem.  If they had been legacy resources not under any
> RSA they would likely have ended up the abandoned resources I wish
> to target with this policy.

Non-payment of resources under RSA results in revocation.

> It's not a perfect estimation of the size of the problem in legacy
> space, but it's the only thing I can think of that even gives us a
> rough estimation.

I'm not sure how this information relates to "the problem in legacy
space", but in any case if you need more details, please let me know.

John Curran
President and CEO