[arin-ppml] Audits

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Nov 6 22:07:48 EDT 2010

On Nov 6, 2010, at 4:03 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> John,
>
> At some point within the next 24 months I think it very likely that
> this community will ask ARIN to aggressively recover unused space.
> This will likely include some sort of mechanism for recovering space
> whose registrants can't be contacted or won't confirm the resources'
> continued use.  I think it would be very helpful to have some legal
> guidance from ARIN counsel as to the least risky approaches to doing
> so before that policy gets drafted.

Legal review occurs as part of the policy development process for
any draft policy, but I understand what you are requesting.  We
have looked into this in the past regarding reclamation of number
resources from defunct companies and have determined that the least
risky approach is to have clear legal dissolution of the holder, or
to have one of the contacts on the resource make a statement that it
can be reclaimed.  To the extent that a policy is put forth which
directs ARIN to proceed in additional circumstances, we'll have a
legal review done of the best options to minimize the risk.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN