[arin-ppml] Audits

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Nov 6 16:03:02 EDT 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:18 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> Send listed contact Mr. John Smith an email, and Mr. Smith writes
> back and says: "Yep, the Company ABC is deceased (which I did list
> in my LinkedIN profile and am a contact for); you should contact Bob
> who I think was the owner at 1-234-555-1212"... We call this supplied
> number and then accept whatever the person claiming to be Bob then
> tells us?
>
> Example:  Bob says: "No, it's still around.  We are actually using
> those numbers internally.  Please update the records to say "BobNet"
> which is our DBA name for Company ABC & here's my new email address"
> Or do we only accept what Bob says if he claims the resources should
> be returned?
>
> Note the liability to ARIN in either of the above cases in acting
> without clear legal documentation (not just attestation from "Bob")
> is likely unacceptable, and doesn't improve the database integrity
> but actually weakens it (not to mention the resource hijacking or
> potentially wrongful reclamation from an otherwise unreachable
> company which Mr. Smith or "Bob" are now seeking revenge against...)

John,

At some point within the next 24 months I think it very likely that
this community will ask ARIN to aggressively recover unused space.
This will likely include some sort of mechanism for recovering space
whose registrants can't be contacted or won't confirm the resources'
continued use.  I think it would be very helpful to have some legal
guidance from ARIN counsel as to the least risky approaches to doing
so before that policy gets drafted.

Regards.
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004