[arin-ppml] Audits

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sat Nov 6 11:12:55 EDT 2010

In a message written on Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:29:30AM -0400, John Curran wrote:
> We have similar issues with resources held by "defunct" organizations,
> since it can be very difficult to find the appropriate original legal
> entity that was assigned a legacy resource, and then even more challenging
> to determine if they're actually defunct when there's no declaration of
> same, given the chain of mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures that
> occurred in this the early days of this industry.

While I agree it can be hard, in other cases it can be quite easy.

I can imagine a process like:

Check for netblocks in whois and were in route-views or the ris
database but haven't been seen for at least 5 years.

Look up the POC's on the whois record in LinkedIn.  Verify they
have that company name in their history.

Send them e-mail, asking them if the company is still around.

You might just get back an e-mail saying "Bob was the owner, shut
it down in 2001,  you can contact him at 1-234-555-1212."  You call
up Bob, he's willing to attest he was the owner and it is no longer
around, and you reclaim.

I cannot express how frustrated I am that ARIN seems totally unwilling
to go after the low hanging fruit, or even fruit already dropped
on the ground using the argument that they don't have a ladder to
reach the fruit at the top of the tree.

Sometimes being a good steward takes effort.